What Is a Chimney Cap?
Chimney repair can be expensive. That’s why it’s important that you take certain preventative measures to protect your chimney. One good way to protect your chimney is chimney cap installation.
Usually made out of stainless steel or copper, chimney caps, also called rain covers or flue guards, are probably the most inexpensive preventative chimney solution that you can employ to prevent water penetrations and damage to your chimney. Without a chimney cap, you essentially have a hole in your roof.
The Benefits of Chimney Cap Installation
Chimney cap benefits include the following:
- Chimney caps keep leaves, debris, and animals out of your chimney.
- Chimney caps serve as a good safety feature for your home because twigs and leaves in your chimney can cause chimney fires.
- Chimney caps prevent rain and other water from getting into your chimney. When water mixes with the creosote in your chimney, it can eat away at the mortar inside. In addition, it can also cause the metal parts in your chimney and fireplace to rust.
- Chimney caps prevent embers from your flue chamber from getting onto your roof, protecting your house and roof from fire damage.
- And more!
Avoid Chimney Repair
In addition to chimney cap installation, you can also avoid chimney repair with the following chimney services:
- Chimney reflashing - the metal that joins the roof to the chimney is called the flashing. If you have water staining on your ceiling near your chimney or even running down the walls, it’s possible that your chimney needs re-flashing.
- Chimney waterproofing - Your chimney is constantly exposed to outdoor elements, so using a water repellent is vital to prevent more expensive masonry reconstruction and repairs and to keep water out of your house.
- Chimney relining - Lining your chimney protects your home and your family from combustion byproducts. Additionally, a cracked chimney liner exposes your masonry to harmful gases from your fire. So if your current liner is damaged, it’s vital that you schedule chimney relining prior to using your chimney to avoid expensive masonry repairs and to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home.
Schedule Chimney Cap Installation in Maryland, Washington, DC, and Virginia
At Capitol Chimney Service, we specialize in chimney cap installation in the Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia area. As a member of the esteemed National Chimney Sweep Guild, we are a family owned chimney service company and we take pride in our work. Give yourself peace of mind by hiring a licensed and insured professional chimney company. We do it right the first time!